erleenalvarez

Books For YA!

A Shade of Vampire (A Shade Of Vampire, #1) - Bella Forrest For more of my reviews, visit Books For YA!A Shade of Vampire by Bella Forrest is a surprisingly entertaining and captivating novel about a strong-willed 17 year-old girl who was imprisoned to be the harem of the most powerful vampire prince of this generation. If you think, this is another Twilight story then you’re terribly wrong. On the night of her 17th birthday, Sofia Claremont was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Her best friend, Ben Hudson forgot about her birthday so instead of enjoying and celebrating the night with him, she was at the beach taking a stroll and wallowing in misery. There she met Lucas and within 24 hours her life changed from being a normal upcoming senior high school student to being a captive in an island where it was always night. I've heard a lot of good reviews about this book from other book bloggers that is why when the author contacted me to review it, I immediately accepted it. And I was amazed! This book had my attention from start to finish and I didn't stop reading until I finished it. Sofia Claremont was nothing like those necrophiliac teenage girls who weren't afraid to become a vampire’s meal. She was realistic and normal and she showed all the logical reaction a person would have done if they meet a blood thirsty vampire. The first time she tried to escape, she was unsuccessful and almost became the lunch of two hungry vampire guards. But her fear regarding that incident didn't discourage her, it actually made her more determined to get out of that place. Her perseverance and bravery to beat the odds made me root for her. On the other hand, I thought at first that Derek Novak's reaction to Sofia when they first met was insta-love which irks me. But as I read further, I realized that it was more of bewilderment rather than love at first sight so I wasn't bothered with him anymore. Derek also showed me that he still has a bit of humanity and a lot of vulnerability which made him more realistically human. I sympathized with him when he told the origin of how he became a vampire and the prophecy about him. The expectation of the other vampires and the responsibility that was placed in his shoulder was too heavy for him to bear. The alternating POV between Sofia and Derek made the story more interesting because it gave me the advantage to spy on both of their thoughts in the scenes. It makes me feel more involved in the story than the normal narration.Overall, A Shade of Vampire was a really good novel that will satisfy you’re vampire cravings. I highly recommend this for all the paranormal lovers out there.