erleenalvarez

Books For YA!

Ten - Gretchen McNeil For more of my reviews, visit Books For YA!I'm a self-confessed mystery junkie ever since high school. So when I read the synopsis of Ten, I can't help not to be excited. It's sounds like the murder mystery that I love to read. But after I finally read it, I was really disappointed.I didn't feel the adrenaline rush that I usually feel whenever I'm reading mystery novels. Maybe it's because I didn't feel any connections to the characters or maybe because the killing scenes wasn't showed or elaborated.I find the characters really annoying and immature in the way they act and speak, it feels unrealistic and exaggerated. But what really put me off with this book is Meg and Minnie's so-called "friendship". I know, Minnie is bipolar and it really affects her mood but it didn't excuse her from being manipulative and obsessive towards the things she didn't own. It certainly didn't excuse her for treating people like shit and for acting like a spoiled 10-year old brat. There is also a fine line between bipolarism and psychosis and I think she's on the verge of being psychotic. Meg, on the other hand, is not helping Minnie to be better. She's tolerating all Minnie's whims and keeps on lying to her face. I'm sorry to say this but what kind of friend would lie and make false promises to her friend? She should have given Minnie a dose of tough love if she really is her friend. It's always better to tell the truth and hurt her feelings rather than lie to her and pretend that nothing's wrong. The murders also didn't feel chilling for me. Well, I commend Gretchen McNeil for describing a very detailed murder scene though. But I wish she also showed how the murders was done. I feel like it would add more suspense if she just showed how the victim struggle while they were being hunt and killed. Murder mystery gets really boring without these scenes. Anyway, the ending saved this whole thing. I was actually planning to give this a 2 star but because I was surprised with the revelation I decided to give this a 3 star. Overall, it a okay read but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.